Tuesday 5 January 2016

Top Ten Tuesday #103 - Bookish Resolutions For 2016


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by the fabulous girls cover at The Broke & The Bookish. This week's topic is -

Top Ten Seven Bookish Resolutions For 2016

I have plenty of bookish/bloggish resolutions I want to stick to this year. most of them in a concerted effort to either save money (to fund a holiday to France and Comic Con) or to declutter (my study/library and my bedroom both look like a library threw up in them, not in a good way...)


This one should be self-explanatory! We all have the same problem, piles of books on our shelves (and floors in some cases) which get overlooked in favor of the shiny and new. This year I am reading from my shelves as much as possible. I was going to be really ruthless and say 'and only from my shelves' but in view of no. 3 I decided to ease up and say...


But not to reserve books in silly amounts as I have been doing for years! I'm allowed up to 30 books at at a time and I know for a fact that some quite a few go back unread because someone has put a hold on them. I'm going to try and request mainly new titles which will hopefully help with...


This is the one I'm going to struggle with most because of all the shiny new titles! I am determined to stick to it though. I want to go on holiday and I want to save more money for ComicCon this year - the hotel I'm staying in this year is a bit more expensive but it's an extra night this year and it's close to the venue. If this means no new books so be it! I have allowed myself a handful of preorders from the Book Depository including The Raven King and a hard copy of Every Heart A Doorway which are already paid for so technically no money changes hands in 2016...


I thought about going completely cold turkey on the Netgalley/Edelweiss thing but I've tried before, failed miserably and ended up requesting even more than usual. This is my compromise. If I want to request a new title I have to make sure I have reviewed 5 (or more) previous requests first. This will help to maintain a sensible amount of e-galleys and help bump up that old percentage a bit.


Including Goodreads I was taking part in 5 challenges last year and in the end it just didn't work. This year I think I'm going to limit it to 3, if that. I've set my Goodreads challenge already - 275, reasons for which will be in my challenge wrapup post coming later this week but I'm dithering over a couple of challenges to join for more specific targets.


I spent a lot of 2015 out and about and as a result the blog suffered. Add in the health problems and hospital visits over the last four months of the year and it all turned out rather disastrously. This year I'm going to try and keep a couple of weeks worth of posts in reserve so should the same thing happen again I'm slightly better organized!


This was maybe my biggest fail of the year! I know I wrote some but I discovered a couple of things last year. Firstly, the more I love a book? The harder I find to write a review about it, I have no idea why but there you go. I will try to sort that out this year but just not quite sure how. Secondly, I discovered tat I cannot review historical novels to save my life. As much as I love them there is obviously a mental block about reviewing a historical novel. This is a huge shame because at least one of my all-time favorite authors writes historical fiction. Something else to work on this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are great so please feel free to leave one! If you leave a link to your blog I will come and visit your blog!

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the G'nite Sweetheart kit by Vera Lim Design